Media center gets face lift with new specialist who loves thrift stores

Media+specialist+Anamaria+Mitton+

Chase Deist

Media specialist Anamaria Mitton

Chase Deist, Associate Editor

Media specialist Anamaria Mitton walks into a local thrift shop humming Macklemore’s Thrift Shop. “I’m gonna pop some tags, only got $20 in my pocket, I – I – I’m hunting, looking for a come-up, can’t wait to decorate.”

This year Watkins Mill’s media center has a new face-lift, only possibly due to Mitton’s thrifting abilities. “I go thrifting [a lot]… all the stuff I usually decorate the media center with is from thrift stores,” Mitton said.

“It would be nice for students to have a new look and a new start [for this school year],” Mitton said. “I think that any time a new person comes into a place it should get a face-lift.” This is one reason that the media center features many new plants, “I [also] have a passion for gardening,” Mitton added.

Mitton opts to shop at thrift stores because she loves to “find treasures at thrift stores.” She mostly looks for what she describes as “things like that [she thinks] the students will enjoy.” Thrift stores because the items there let her be creative. “I like to reuse [and] repurpose things,” Mitton said. “I think it’s important to do that.”

When Mitton isn’t thrifting, she likes to binge watch shows on Netflix. “I started watching Sneaky Pete and The Americans,” Mitton said. “I [watch] all kinds of shows.” Along with watching shows Mitton, as any good media specialist, loves to read. “My favorite book is Pillars of the Earth,” she said.

When Mitton is not reading, binge watching shows, or going thrifting, she loves to stay fit. “I go to the gym two days a week,” Mitton said. Mitton played softball in high school, along with doing gymnastics to stay active.

At school, Mitton sponsors SADD (Students Against Destructive Decisions), is on the Watkins Mill Leadership Team, and on the Hispanic outreach committee. Mitton loves working at WMHS for two big reasons: “I love high school kids and the diversity,” she said.  Mitton came to WMHS after working at Ridgeview and Sligo Creek middle schools.