College prep program helps juniors ‘ACE’ SAT, ACT

Kola Akinnibi and Lirim Krasniqi

The Achieving College Excellence and Success program (ACES) is a college readiness program run by academic coach Tiffany Shaw, giving students a place to learn about applying to college and prepare for the application process.

“ACES began about five years ago, so this is the fifth school year with the ACES program,” Shaw said. “Students who are first-generation typically have the most success since they normally don’t have anyone at home to help them.”

To join ACES “you have to apply in tenth grade,” Shaw added. ACES also provides outlets for students to prepare for their SAT and ACT. They have prep classes and tutors to aid students looking for opportunities to prepare.  

Applying to college is a very tedious task, a process that requires a lot of time, effort, and especially lots of paperwork. The program helps guide students through the paperwork process. “[ACES]…helped me with [the] paperwork,” senior Leonardo Astorima said. This help allowed Astorima to submit his college application with lots of time to spare.

“Students benefit a great deal, we help them achieve the next level of college acceptance,” Shaw added.

Among the piles of homework kids get everyday, finding time to discover how to do college applications and how to study for the ACT and SAT is hard to come by. ACES provides tutors and that those who don’t have money shouldn’t fret joining because they also assist in financial aid.

It helps you prepare for college and study for your ACT and SAT so you can have some nice scores that you can put on your application. “They helped me know what to expect and how to write a college essay,” senior Ruth Mensah Coffie said. “[People] should join ACES [because] they will help you through each step.”