Sophomore trades helmet for headphones to pursue dreams of music

Sakeenah Nasser

Sophomore Yishaq Woldesenebet pays attention in his health class to keep his grades up. Maintaining his GPA while pursuing his musical career is a big goal for Woldesenebet.

Sophomore Yishaq Woldesenebet walked off the football field last year at the end of the season and traded in his helmet​.

For headphones.

Woldesenebet is focusing on beats, from hip-hop, to R&B, and pursuing his dream to become a music producer. He is currently working with sophomores Matthew Stein and Ashwin Smith. Stein helps with beats, Woldesenebet raps, and Smith is the photographer. They are  building a makeshift studio in the basement of Stein’s home to record their music. Although they have a few beats, they are not out for the public just yet.  The trio plans to set up a YouTube channel with daily vlog episodes including their music.

“Music does a lot and it can save people’s lives,” Woldesenebet said. “I want to save people’s lives.” Woldesenebet has played football since he was six years old. He planned on breaking records on the field, now he makes them off the field. This was a big transition for him because a lot of people shut him down, and discouraged him.

“Football is something I always loved but music is what I’m supposed to do,” Woldesenbet said.  “I see signs everyday that I should make music.”

He lost a lot of friends over the decision to quit football, but he still is ­working hard.  And he still has a support network. Sophomore Michael Smith, who was on the junior varsity football team with Woldesenebet last year said, “No matter what he decides to do, it won’t change the way I feel about him.  [He’s still] my partner in crime.”

Inspiration came a few miles away from rapper Wale. Wale graduated from Quince Orchard High School,and is well known in Montgomery County. When Wale dropped out of college, he also quit football to make music. However Woldesenebet still intends to keep up his  studies and maintain his GPA.

Woldesenebet hopes to have a album by his birthday on May 9. He has big plans for the future, making a difference in this world is one of his goals.  “I plan on doing a lot of things,” Woldesenebet said.  “Music is just the first platform.  I plan to change the world.”