Indoor track starts season strong at first meet

Hezekiah Likekele and Liam Thomas

Watkins Mill Varsity indoor track started off their season with a great run at MCPS Meet 2 tallying up great scores on Tuesday.

The Wolverines started their season off with a running start to get things going. Student athletes from all grades got to participate in their events to represent the Mill.

Freshman Vincent Okoli had an amazing meet running a solid time in the 55 meter dash. This freshman is showing promise and is off to a terrific start. He has shown himself to be a real threat to other competitors and will only get better throughout the season. Okoli will be a threat to run against along with junior teammate Salekri Sayeh.

“It gave us a sense of who’s going to be on relays and stuff,” sophomore Nana Tutu said about the first meet. People are getting a feel of what the season has in store for them.

“[Our] goal for the season is states and I believe we can accomplish that,” junior Tyrese Hibbert added.

Tutu most looks forward to “relays, because these are the fastest people on your team.” It will be exciting to watch our best going at it against the rest of the county.

Coached by para educator Bryant Adams, the team feels as if they are prepared and having fun. “Coach [Adams] really pushes us to do our best,” Tutu added. Adams always seems to have tricks up his sleeve, bringing in new inexperienced athletes and turning them into solid runners. Adams also continues to tell each runner how important it is to not give up over a small failure and to just keep running your race.

The season already looks promising from the start. This great group of athletes have the potential to be a threat for the 3A State Championship. Stay tuned for upcoming track meets to see the Wolverines improve in great strides.