Boys soccer looks to take down Hawks in state semifinal game

Jonathan trejo

Boys soccer finish season with 11-2 record

Salekri Sayeh

Boys soccer prepares for a very important match against the Hawks of Urbana High School this Saturday, November 12 at Linganore High School. This marks the first time the team has made the state semifinal game since their state title in 2011.

The journey to get to this point was not easy, but extremely hard fought for. On November 7, the team played the Northern Patriots, visiting from Calvert County. This was the third straight year the boys made the regional finals, but this time they intended for a different result. The boys shut out Northern in dominating fashion, 3-0.

“We came in with a dominating attitude,” said junior Yann Kouemi, who has been a big part of their success. The Wolverine goals were scored by seniors Jojo Cann, Daniel Juresic, and a beautiful one by senior Walter Gomez.

“We knew we had the talent to get this far since the season started,” senior David Kore said. Orange Nation showed out for this game, filling the stands with Wolverine fans and cheering loudly. “We want to win for our fans and family,” Kore added.

On November 3, right here in the Den, the boys faced big-time rival Magruder High School. Although the boys beat them earlier in the season, they did not come into the game underestimating the team. Senior Victor D’almeida said, “I felt the team could have played better even though we won the game.”

The boys won 2-0 with both goals coming from up-and-coming sophomore Belkheir Ali. The future looks bright for these Watkins Mill boys. Senior goalie Eddie Huebner continued his superb play with recording another shutout, bringing his total to eight for the season. “Our minds are set on states,” Kouemi added.

The boys are the only Montgomery County team left in the playoffs, proof that this team has superb drive and determination. Come out and support our boys tomorrow at 5pm at Linganore High School in Frederick, with free spirit buses leaving from Watkins Mill at 4pm sharp. Tickets will be $8, and a win tomorrow will put the team just one game away from bringing another boys soccer state championship home to the Mill.