‘Rines looks to Mangle Bengals in football on Friday

Nigel Duberry

Members of the Watkins Mill High School football team kneel during the National Anthem in the game against Tuscarora High School.

Gabriel Leonard and Hezekiah Likekele

Varsity Wolverine football is ready to claw away at the Blake Bengals in a crucial away game this Friday after a tough out-of-county game at the Tuscarora Titans on October 21 ended with a final score of 35-59.

The team ventured off into Frederick County with their heads held high looking to play with a chip on their shoulder and shock everyone with an upset, but they couldn’t quite get it done against a talented Titan squad.

This high-scoring game included a spectacular performance from freshman wide receiver Demetrius Rush who not only caught passes, but also threw the ball. Senior linebacker Tommy Dawson said, “Rush had an amazing game and he never seems to disappoint. He has a real talent,” giving praise to his fellow teammate.

Rush commented on the game and said “It was hard but we could’ve won. We did well scoring in the second half of the game.” said Rush. Rush also talks about his leadership and stepping in for quarterback. “It was fun [to play quarterback] it gave me a chance to take control,” Rush said. “I feel like everyone feeds off my intensity.”

The team faced a big early deficit but fought back and made Tuscarora work and make many errors. Dawson said, “Honestly, the game we played on Friday night wasn’t us. We didn’t play to our full capability.” Despite scoring 35 points, the team wants to sharpen their sword on the defensive side of the ball.

Senior defensive lineman Nigel Duberry said, “We messed up on defense, we couldn’t stop their running back. We need to work on the D line and linebackers making tackles.” The team will focus in on stopping the run during the week so they are ready for another big Friday night.

Duberry didn’t play, but is still a big part of the team and helped lead them Friday alongside the coaches. Dawson who is also a huge leader on the team added, “What stood out was our ability to keep fighting. We didn’t back off at all this game.”

Looking ahead to next week, the team is excited to take on the Blake Bengals in their final regular season away game. All of Orange Nation should come out to Blake High School on Friday at 7pm to watch our ‘Rines rumble to victory.