Girls Soccer looks to terminate Trojans in last regular season game

Girls+soccer+taking+on+Seneca+

Ajay Branch

Girls soccer taking on Seneca

Ajay Branch and Liam Thomas

Girls soccer looks to crush the Gaithersburg Trojans tonight at Gaithersburg High School. The team is coming off a fantastic game against the Seneca Valley Screamin’ Eagles and are looking to carry that winning mentality into tonight.

It was senior night for Watkins Mill girls soccer here at the Mill on Wednesday night where they silenced the Seneca Valley Screamin’ Eagles beating them five goals to one. Sophomore Nana Tutu scored the first goals that night for Watkins Mill. “It was exciting,” Tutu said. “The ball finally came in my direction.”  The team now has their second win and are looking for a third against the Trojans tonight.

The team went to Clarksburg on Monday, October 10 to take on the Coyotes but came short with a 4-1 loss. Despite being down for most of the game, they kept on fighting, pressuring the ball, and closing down their passing lanes.

“Emma [Buck] and Shaniya [Randolph] stepped up. Usually they don’t bring up the ball, but they took it up themselves and looked on the outsides.” said senior Paige Glenzer praising her teammates efforts. They hope to remain level headed and to not underestimate their opponent in the next game, and to play like it is their last game.

The Lady ‘Rines came out and played hard against the Rockville Rams at home on Thursday, October 6. They fought hard, scoring three goals, but the Rams came out on top with a score of 6-3. Senior Sam Whipp, freshmen Tatiana Ledon and Jada Thornton each scored one goal in the game, with the two freshmen scoring their first of the season. The ‘Rines put out a strong front but that wasn’t enough to stop the Rams from winning.

“I feel as if we didn’t work well as a team,” junior Heaven Atta said. “Some people got discouraged and had bad attitudes [and it] showed on the field.”  

Senior Shaniya Randolph agreed. “It was a frustrating game,” Randolph added. “We started fouling a lot…because we were frustrated.”

The girls soccer team tried to go to war with Magruder Colonels on Tuesday, October 4, but came up short, losing 1-2. The goal was scored by the sophomore Annie Riley. The Lady ‘Rines did a great job at fighting off the Colonels until late in the second half, when the Colonels put our ‘Rines away with a second goal with three minutes left in the half.

Tonight is the team’s last regular season game of the year, so all of Orange Nation should go out and support.