National Honor Society inducts new members, recognizes outstanding students

Alex Wright

Watkins Mill High School’s chapter of the National Honors Society introduced its newest members on September 29 with a successful ceremony followed by a pizza party in the school’s library.

“It was short and sweet,” said English teacher Anita Rajeev, who sponsors the NHS. Rajeev is in her sixth year of sponsoring the group, a national organization meant to recognize outstanding high school students.

With such a high level of prestige, the application process is very rigorous.  Potential candidates are screened for a 3.5 or higher weighted grade point average, shortlisted, and then informed of the group.  If interested, applicants must submit five recommendations to be considered.

“At first I thought this might look good on my college transcript,” NHS treasurer Adil Shoja said. “But I noticed they do some real things like working for charities and raising money.”

The group focuses its efforts not only on academics, but also on improving each student and their morals. “They have developed in their values, they have developed in their personality, and their ideology,” Rajeev said. “Their exposure to the world is immense.”

With 41 new inductees, this year’s class was massive in contrast to the usual 25-30 new members, as the group now has a total of close to 55 affiliates.  

Despite only being in National Honors Society for just a few weeks now, new members have already gained a lot from the experience.  “I have learned that service is important to create balance in the community,” junior Chase Soghomonian said.

Much of the ceremony was carried out by the group’s officers, who delivered speeches on scholarship, leadership, and service. After a short introduction from Rajeev, the new members were introduced and awarded a certificate from assistant principal Steven Orders. The ceremony was then followed by a pizza party in honor of the new members.