Girls soccer plans to conquer Colonels today at Magruder

Ajay Branch and Liam Thomas

Watkins Mill girls soccer looks to conquer the Colonels today at Magruder High School at 5:30 p.m. The team is coming off a hard-fought loss on Friday and is looking to pick up a much needed second win of the season.

The ‘Rines tried to tame the Blake Bengals September 30. They fought hard making it a close game but fell short with score of 3-4. During the first half of the game, the two teams were tied, but Blake came back and scored twice while Watkins Mill only scored once. “We played better as a team and we listened to each other,” sophomore Chioma Nwoye said.

Our Lady ‘Rines  went to war with the Sherwood Warriors on September 28. The team battled hard, but lost with a score of 2-0.  The star of the game was junior goalie Megan Dakwa with 20 saves in the game. “It felt good to keep the score low for my team,” Dakwa said.

“At first it started off slow but then we ended on a good note, we started hustling,” senior Paige Glenzer added. “I feel like if we had a man on them the whole game then that could’ve prevented them for scoring.”   

Girls soccer played against the Paint Branch Panthers September 22 at 7:15pm. They fought hard to get their second win of the season but sadly fell short of that with a score of 3-0.

The girls soccer team played the Wheaton Knights on September 19 and left with a devastating 5-2 loss. The game started out rough for the ladies, with the opposing team scoring within the first two minutes. But the Lady ‘Rines were not discouraged. Sophomore Anne Riley traded goals with Wheaton, managing to tie up the game by the end of the half.

“I believe our defense definitely played well,” Glenzer added. “Our goalie [got] hurt a couple times but she still played [through it].”

Coming into their next game sophomore Annie Riley says they need to, “Keep ourselves calm, and just try to play smarter and try not to get frustrated.”