Girls lacrosse looks to tame Cougars in first round of playoffs tomorrow

Watkins Mill girls lacrosse hope to tame the Quince Orchard Cougars in the first round of the playoffs tomorrow at home. This season as a whole has been very successful, finishing the regular season with a winning record of 9-4, and the Lady ‘Rines look to keep this winning mentality into the playoffs.

“I’m confident that we can go far in the playoffs,” senior Lily Jean Schlosser said. “I think we are going to do [well].”

For ten girls, this is their last season playing as Wolverines before heading to college next year. “I’ve played on this team for four years and leaving it is going to be hard, but I know that I’m leaving it in good hands,” Schlosser added. “[Sophomores] Katherine [Campbell] and Virginia [Schlosser] are very good when it comes to the future of this team, and I’m really proud at what we’ve been able to do this season because it’s something we haven’t do for the past couple of years.”

The girls enter the playoffs following a strong win against Northwest High School on Monday with a 10-1 win after a hard fight and devastating loss by two against the Bethesda Chevy Chase Barons on May 3. “I think we definitely did push ourselves against B-CC,” senior Kayla Griffith said. “They’re a really good team, they have much more experience and here we are trying our best and we definitely proved ourselves wrong….we kicked butt.”

Looking toward playoffs, “We are all excited, because the season is drawing to an end and the summer is here, but at the same time we are all a little sad because we are going to split up soon,” Schlosser said. She added that “it’s bitter sweet” ending her high school career.

“The game that comes to mind is when we beat QOHS my sophomore year, that was just something I’m never going to forget,” Schlosser added. “We’ve hated QOHS for so long and that is the first time we’ve school beat them in school history, and then beating Northwest this year was also a highlight.”