Senior reflection: Catherisa Apostol

Catherisa Apostol

Let’s go back in time. Back to the magical, magnificent day of May 1, 2014. Back when I was in the second semester of sophomore year.

Back when I thought I had a copious amount of time, before I finally had to be an adult and make my own decisions. I remember thinking about how I’d have to enroll in a college in two years, and having complete confidence that future me would know exactly what to do with her life. I was also confident that I’d probably grow a couple inches (or a foot) in the next year or two, but that obviously did not happen… damn.

Needless to say, time has flown by fast. Senior year is coming to an end (I just love the smell of free education slipping away), I’m still barely 5 feet tall (*insert eye roll emoji*), and I’ve watched all my friends enroll in colleges while I waited until the last possible minute to finally enroll (literally May 1, 2016 at 11:59 pm).

Despite my laziness and lack of ambition, I’ll actually put some effort into this article and take this time to reflect on my years as a student at Watkins Mill High School.

Take a seat, grab some tea, and try to relax, because you’re gonna be here for a while.

First, I’d like to talk about the people. Well, what can I say about the people here at Watkins Mill? Now, I don’t know about you, but I’ve actually met some of the nicest, smartest, and most ambitious people here at the Mill… no, seriously.

I knew about the reputation that the school had before I came here, but I soon realized that it’s more about the people that you surround yourself with as opposed to the reputation of the school.

I’ve made meaningful relationships, met lifelong friends, and I’m able to leave knowing that Watkins Mill is filled with students who have the potential to be great if they just had the support and encouragement to help them strive to be better.

And now, I’d like to talk about someone who’s been a huge part of my high school experience. Some of you may know her as Goodman, Confino, Goodfino, or my favorite: Conman. Well, I remember having Ms. Goodman my freshman year. Now, in case any of you young folk don’t know, this is what us 90’s kids used to refer to Mrs. Confino as before she got, ya know… married.

Well anyways, I’ll be honest, I don’t really remember anything from her class. All I remember is her grabbing my registration card at the end of the year, and practically forcing me to join this newspaper class… and that’s how I got stuck with her for all four years of high school.

Having been on staff since my sophomore year, I’ve seen The Current go from this lame 80-articles-a-year printed publication, to an online publication that’s published over 250 articles in its first year alone. Needless to say, I’m proud of what we’ve accomplished, I’m grateful to have been a part of the amazing newspaper staff, and it’s been an honor being Editor-in-Chief for The Current’s online debut.

As a senior, I’ve been able to look back and realize that these four years are more than just coming to school and getting an education. I’ve grown immensely (emotionally, mentally and figuratively of course… always gotta make it about my height), learned more about myself and my interests, and I’ve had the opportunity to experience things that I never thought I’d be given the chance to.

I encourage everyone at Watkins Mill next year to participate in more extracurriculars (if you aren’t already involved in like, 50,000. Well, maybe you could make it 50,001, but that’s all you man), try something new, or even something you’ve been afraid of doing. Step out of your comfort zone and try to get to know new people.

Put yourselves in situations where you’ll grow and learn. I know it’s hard, trust me, I’d know, but the reality is, you’ll be fine. You’ll all be fine.