Watkins Mill’s got talent: annual show displays skills, guest stars

Watkins Mill’s annual student talent show was held in our auditorium on April 22. People of all ages came to witness students’ talent, hard work, and guest stars. 

This was Watkins Mill’s third annual talent show, and needless to say, it was a success. The auditorium was packed, and every act was amazing. The show had a number of guest performers, including DMV rapper Simba and the “Lean Squad” as hosts.

The director and producer of the show, senior Michael Mattocks, started the now-annual talent show during his sophomore year when he “realized we didn’t have a talent show, and we have a lot of raw talent at Watkins Mill.” Mattocks added, “The purpose [of the show], is to give people time to express their talent and show what they please.”

The show itself was very diverse, with a good mix of rap, slow and fast songs, and dance. The audience was extremely lively, with many people singing, clapping, and waving along. Some audience members even got up on the stage to dance at the end.

The talent show is also important to the performers. Senior Seanii Wright has participated in the talent show since her sophomore year, and thinks of the show as a way for her to make her mark. “This show for me is kind of like ending it all. Leaving it all on stage and letting people know I was here.” Wright added, “[My goal] is to make people feel comfortable sharing their talent, and knowing that if I can do it, then they can definitely do it.”

Freshman performer and singer/rapper Wesley Leon-Mora shares this drive for performing. “I like the feeling that it gives me, to go up on stage, to be able to present something and get positive feedback, or to know someone can listen to my stuff and relate to it,” Leon-Mora said. “To make somebody feel something is my goal, whether it’s negative or positive.”