Boys baseball looks to hit the Colonels out of the park tomorrow

Reggie Spears

Junior Daniel Suarez takes his turn at bat against the Screamin’ Eagles

Varsity baseball will travel to Magruder High School tomorrow and plan to knock the Colonels out of the park to bounce back from Wednesday’s loss against the Seneca Valley Screamin’ Eagles .

In the battle against Seneca, Watkins Mill played a very good game but came up short in a 6-8 loss. The ‘Rines showed a lot of improvement from earlier games in the season and are still working their way to the top. They battled Seneca all the way to the end due to a great two-out double from sophomore Lucas Richards.

On Monday, the ‘Rines faced a very good Rockville High School squad. Although the score wasn’t close, with an 18-1 Rams win, our boys did their best and kept fight until the bottom of the ninth. Sophomore Kevin Finn scored the lone run for the ‘Rines.

The team won their first game on April 8 against the Wheaton Knights. The game wasn’t much of a challenge for the ‘Rines as they cruised to a 9-5 win. The ‘Rines hit the ball well and didn’t allow many runs. Richards pitched a great game to keep the score close. “We need to practice more on defense,” Richards said.

The team committed a lot of errors in their first two games but made sure to correct them for this meeting with the Knights. “If we can have less errors we will play better,” junior Joel Webster said. “Getting the hits and driving in the runners” will contribute to the team’s success as well.

In a meeting against the Kennedy Cavaliers, the boys put up a roaring fight but couldn’t hold them off as they lost 8-4. “Hitting wise we do pretty well,” Webster said. The team is getting better day by day and with more hard work and practice they will be ready for a deep playoff run.

In a big rivalry game against Clarksburg, the team lost 19-4. This was the first away game of the season and the ‘Rines were up against a talented Clarksburg team. If the team can clean up on small mistakes they will be beating teams of this caliber in no time.

In the home opener against Walter Johnson the boys lost 17-1. It was an exciting start to the season as the boys fought hard but still have a lot to improve on. Once they can fix their most common mistakes, they will be a force to be reckoned with. We hope that the boys can take a big step forward and turn the season in the right direction.

Junior Joel Webster hits against the Seneca Valley Screamin' Eagles
Reggie Spears
Junior Joel Webster hits against the Seneca Valley Screamin’ Eagles