Senior wonders what this ‘adult’ thing is, how to do it

Angie Perez

I feel like I got smacked in the face. By reality. HARD.

In just two-and-a-half months, we seniors will be high school graduates. We will be forced into the “adult life,” and (short of failing English) there’s absolutely nothing we can do about it.

Three months ago, I would’ve been excited to graduate. Now, I’m actually a tiny bit terrified. Of course I’m ready to get out of high school; but what I’m not ready for is having to adult.

I’m actually ready to just curl up in ball under my sheets and never come out. Ever.  I can do that, right? (Since I’m technically not an adult yet.)

College is another slightly confusing situation. For some seniors, it’s exciting to start college–especially for those going out of state. Others are terrified of going somewhere new and unfamiliar (which is understandable…seriously.)

But I think the majority are more like me right now–stuck between feeling terrified and thrilled.

I’m so ready to start college and learn what I need to know to prepare me for my career. But, I’m secretly scared of going out into the world and completely failing at life. How DOES one “adult”?

I feel as though high school should have included more classes to prepare us for the struggles of being an adult. I would’ve preferred taking classes teaching me:

-How to Buy a Home

-How to do Taxes

-Avoiding Credit Card Debt

-Getting a Credit Card at All

-How to Talk on the Phone (when you find someone who doesn’t text)

-Making your own Doctor’s Appointments

-Buying a Car

-Insuring That Car

-What to do When That Car Makes a Funny Noise

-Buying Awkward Personal Items

-Having a Functional Relationship

…and many more struggles that seem to be a necessity if you plan to adult correctly.

I, like most teenagers, depend on my mom for almost everything. I know that when I move out of my mom’s house I will be calling her 24/7 to ask her how to do stuff. Because I didn’t get any of this information in high school.

But as many struggles as the adult life may bring, I know somehow we can get through it and survive. We’ll probably be awesome adults. (Hint: just Google how to do absolutely everything.)

And if all else fails, call your mom.  She’s pretty good at that whole adulting thing.