Periscope provides wide range of uses, making it hottest new app

From originally being used for streaming live concerts and wild adventures to evolving as the newest group FaceTime everyone has wished for, Periscope, the 2015 app of the year has now made its place in both mountain peaks and classrooms.

Just over a year ago, with merely an idea of the closest thing to teleportation, co-founders Kayvon Beykpour and Joe Bernstein took their fantasy of third-person perceptions into reality. They have hit ten million accounts since the app launched at the end of March of 2015, which caught the eyes of Twitter instantly, who then bought Periscope for around $120 million before its one year anniversary.

An article on Business Insider says, “[Kayvon] Beykpour and his co-founder Joe Bernstein came up with the idea for Periscope while traveling abroad in 2013. Beykpour was in Istanbul when protests broke out in Taksim Square. He wanted to see what was happening there, so he turned to Twitter. While he could read about the protests, he couldn’t see them.”

“It just occurred to me, there were so many smartphones out there, why wasn’t there a way for me to ask who else was out there what was happening there?” Beykpour explains in the article. Which is how the idea for this app came to be.

And now Watkins Mill students also use the app in their various needs. Sophomore Joshua Amoateng used it to his advantage during the blizzard when we didn’t have school. “I just wanted to talk to my friends since I wouldn’t see them for a week,” Amoateng said.

Sophomore Naina Tsarni uses the app to communicate with family abroad. “My family lives right off the ocean across the Atlantic Ocean, and I am able to see what they’re doing,” Tsarni said.

Of course, students are finding more entertaining ways to use the app as well.  Sophomore Yeikela Mendez used Periscope to record a prank call to a friend as well.

With the millions of people who are broadcasting on Periscope, there is something for everyone to see that they have never seen before.  Check it out for free on the app store.