‘Kelsea’s Coat Closet’ provides outerwear for kids in need

Security guard Kelsea Kephart shows off some of the coats that are available for students who need them.

Brennan Guilds and Victoria Joya Euceda

Thousands of kids and teenagers go without coats every winter and are left to fend for themselves against the elements, but this season something is changing and it begins right here.

Security guard Kelsea Kephart started a program that connects students who come into school without jackets with their very own winter coat. “[Business manager Julia] Broyles likes to call it ‘Kelsea’s Coat Closet,’” Kephart said. 

The program started because of the extremely cold winter last year.  Kephart worried that students might be walking without jackets, but when she saw just how many students were walking to school in the freezing cold without coats, she decided to take action. 

Kelsea’s Coat Closet so far has collected around 50 jackets in all sizes for both male and female students solely from donations. However, so far she has only been able to hand out about six to students that have been referred to her by staff members.

When athletic director Reginald Spears heard of the program he said he, “thought it was a very good gesture of support,” and added that he is “glad she is doing it again [this year].”

“Last year I noticed some kids [when it was] already 20 degrees walking to school without a jacket,” Spears said. With temperatures that dipped to almost below zero, students definitely needed help, and with the unpredictable weather so far this season, it could be an issue again.

However, “Some kids are just reluctant to ask for help… or they just really don’t think that they need it,” Spears said. “If you know something about a kid’s background and you think they may need assistance, share those names.”

Any students interested in referring a fellow peer or who need a jacket themselves, they can reach Kephart at [email protected]. There is no need to worry about anyone finding out about a referral or a request because Kephart ensures that everything is done anonymously and discreetly in order to avoid anyone feeling embarrassed. 

“I love to give back to the community and provide to students who need some extra help,”  Kephart added.