Battle of classes rivals Hogwarts House Cup in raising school spirit

“Rinesward points are given by teachers for spirited behavior and collected to earn points and win prizes for your entire class.

Fiona Franke and Bennett Stoppelmoor

“While you are at Watkins Mill, your good behavior will earn you class points. At the end of the year, the class with the most points is awarded with great honor.” —SGA

No, you’re not at Hogwarts, but Watkins Mill is doing a spin-off of the House Cup.

The Student Government Association is bringing Battle of the Classes to Watkins Mill. In an effort to boost morale and the competitive spirit, the SGA created a competition that will last throughout the school year. “It’s a competition between all the classes where [they] have to do activities that show their [school] spirit,” SGA vice president sophomore Chase Soghomonian said.

“Freshmen, sophomores, juniors [and] seniors in an all out spirit brawl,” senior vice president Benjo Bacorro said. “[We wanted] to bring back spirit… [and] encourage students…to appreciate their school, and depending on what environment [they] see if we can try and bring [spirit] back.”

The Battle of the Classes was created when the Watkins Mill SGA learned that another school did something similar. “We were at our county-wide SGA meeting and we heard other schools were doing something similar to it, so we decided to do this because we just feel like we need to have more spirit,” Soghomonian added.  

“Battle of the Classes is something that SGA has started to kind of bring the school together as a whole. We’re using it to promote spirit and as a way to promote kind of like a family feeling within Watkins Mill,” SGA president Maddie White said.

The first competition was Whiteout, where classes were encouraged to wear all white. Then during STEP, the SGA counted the participation to see which class had the most spirit. “[We want] to do a competition each month or every couple of weeks to get people involved within each class,” White added.

SGA encourages full participation and really hopes that students will buy into this program. “We just hope that it’ll bring students together and make them realize that what people think of us actually does matter,” Soghomonian said.