High school couples start with Instagram hearts, find new ways to keep love alive

Sophomore Camille Allie receiving an epic homecoming proposal from her boyfriend, sophomore Michael Smith.

From the way we celebrate traditions, the way we communicate, to the way we dress, there is a constant need to catch up with the times.

Especially when it comes to teen dating.

Do teens still go on dates? Write love letters? Do relationships even last? Is social media impacting the way we interact?

Back in the day, high school couples often stayed together for 30 plus years.  For seniors Jeanellie Ludena and Eduardo Ramos, it hasn’t been quite that long, but their six year relationship started with a push in the lunch line during sixth grade.  Ludena said that they keep the romance alive by “always doing different things” never keeping the same routine, and “keeping social media to a minimum.”

But this is not the case for senior Richelle Ellington and sophomore Donea White. Their relationship began with White asking for Ellington’s Kik. They have kept their relationship alive by using their phones to facetime and message when they are not together, but are careful not to let people on social media intervene in their relationship.  White added that when it comes to social media, “people try to mess up things.”

A heart provided the start for senior Alen Sabolcec, who first saw his girlfriend of 14 months, sophomore Roxana Gaudo, on Instagram and liked her picture. His first attempt at talking to her didn’t go according to plan though.  “She tried to swerve me,” Sabolcec said, but he didn’t give up and here they are a year later still going strong.

Singles often go on social media, see cute couples and say that’s “bae goals,” meaning a couple that everyone wants to be like. But what comes next once you’ve found that special someone?

Senior couple Michael Watkins and Haley Wess keep their romance alive by “setting up dates” and going to the same restaurant where they had their first date each month. They share a connection through mutual friends, which has made it easier to stay connected during their six months together. The only problem they have with social media is fighting over who gets to call “dibs” on posting their newest picture together.

Despite the near-constant use of social media, many teens are able to maintain healthy relationships by refusing to allow the internet to impact their relationships.

Sure, teenagers don’t ask each other on real dates or write love letters anymore, but the romance is still there. Dating has changed with the times and the current generation has proved that love is still alive and can last, no matter what obstacles technology throws in the way.