Girls soccer kicks off playoffs today against Screamin’ Eagles

Ajay Branch

Junior Samantha Whipp

Ajay Branch and Liam Thomas

Girls varsity soccer looks to play Seneca Valley High School in the first round of the playoffs at home today after a close loss to Gaithersburg 0-1 on Monday and a 2-2 tie against Seneca Valley High School last Friday.

“I think we did well with good passes to each other and getting open for passes, and defending,” sophomore striker Heaven Atta said about the team’s performance against Leanordtown High School on October 20. “I think we all need to communicate more as a team and call when you have the ball.”  That was Atta’s first game as a varsity player; she was moved up to varsity after the Clarksburg game. “I think I did well getting open for passes,” Atta added.  But “there’s always room for improvement.”

Early in the second half of the game against Leanordtown, freshman right midfielder Nana Tutu took a soccer ball to the ribs. “The whole game we were hoping that she was okay,” Atta said. “We just said a few prayers for her.”

Tutu did not play in the game on Friday against Seneca Valley because her ribs are bruised on the left side.  “We played really well, but then again Seneca is not as good as past teams that we’ve played,” Tutu added.  “We had a lot of shots on goal.” The Lady Wolverines look to play the Screamin’ Eagles of Seneca Valley again for the first round of the playoffs today.